2/07/2013

Rachel's Packing List

It's odd-- the first question most people ask about our trip is "What are you packing?" That question has been driving me nuts too.

So, in response to popular demand, I've put together a visual aid to show curious readers exactly what's in my pack for our journey around the world.

If you're not the type of person who gets excited looking into someone else's medicine cabinet, pantry or luggage, you'll likely want to skip the rest of this post. Nosy types, read on!

Clothing
I've probably packed too many clothing items, but I'm telling myself that I can easily donate or toss any of these things.

Tops
Most of these are cotton and short-sleeved, but I also have 2 moisture-wicking shirts for when I'm hiking or running. 

Bottoms

I've packed 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of running shorts, 1 pair of hiking pants (convertible to capris). The weird looking things are base layer pants in case it gets chilly.

Sundress
I originally had a long, awesome maxi dress for nights out on the town. Unfortunately, the dress weighed about 3.5 pounds, so it got the boot. This black jersey sundress is lighter and matches everything. I'm hoping to pick up some scarves as we go to dress it up a bit more.

My shoes

This is where most of my weight comes from. I've packed a pair of cute rubber sandals (for showers, beaches and dinners), a pair of comfy shoes for walking around town, a pair of running shoes, and some sturdy hiking shoes. I should probably be smart and streamline this to 3 pairs of shoes, but for now I'm willing to sacrifice some poundage for happy feet.

Jackets
We'll mostly be in warm weather, but for hiking in Patagonia and chilly nights elsewhere, I've packed a black fleece and a rain jacket with a hood. The rain jacket should also come in handy for when the weather is less than perfect. It folds down really small.

Beach Stuff

Two bathing suits, one straw hat. Sunscreen and sunglasses are buried somewhere in my toiletry bag.

Underthings
Not pictured. But trust me, I have several pairs of everything I need.

Electronics
We really struggled with what kind of electronics to bring on this trip. We want to be light and free to move around easily, but we also wanted to stay in touch with friends and family, as well as read and do some research on trip plans.
Electronics

I've kept things pretty simple: a Kindle and a Google Chromebook. They're not too heavy, thankfully. I also brought my new camera which is not pictured, for obvious reasons.

Sleeping Bag

This thing is awesome. It's tiny and fairly light, but will keep us warm unless the temperature drops well below freezing (which it shouldn't, since we'll be traveling in the summer.)

Miscellaneous
Here's the random stuff:

  • Rubber bands for exercising. Let's hope I use them.
  • Collapsible water bottles
  • A dry sack for keeping dirty clothes separate from the clean ones
  • A dry sack for my camera so it doesn't get wet
  • A universal adapter
  • A Belkin power strip so we can charge multiple devices at once
  • Guidebook
  • Headlamp 
  • Lock
  • Pillowcase 

There are a few other items that I haven't taken pictures of: 

  • My day pack. It folds up to the size of a tiny fist.
  • A cross-body purse
  • A money belt 
  • Wallet/wristlet (it can be both)
  • Travel towel (if you can call a scrap of cloth a towel! This is something I'm likely going to upgrade within the next few weeks).
  • First aid kit
  • Basic toiletries
  • Chargers for electronics
  • A whistle
  • A pack of cards
  • Toilet paper (just in case)
I'll update this list from time to time so you can see how well I've planned ahead. Any other suggestions for what I should've packed?? Tell me now, while I'm still in a big city!

-R


1 comment:

  1. Rachel and Tom, love your blog! especially love your very useful and entertaining packing list R. Wishing you happy travels you guys!

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete