1/08/2013

The Big Agnes and Other Packables

Since we plan to do more than just a bit of walking during our travels, I'd like to keep my pack as light as possible. We traveled to Belize a year ago, and I vividly recall arriving on an island with too-heavy-for-even-an-elephant packs on our backs and searching for a hotel. It only took an hour, but even that was too much in the heat and going on little sleep -- we had to take multiple breaks. Since we'll probably have full days of walking around wherever we go, I'd like to avoid that experience again by only taking the essentials.

That's tough when you're packing for long-term and you'd like to fit in a sleeping bag and tent with all of your other belongings. We recently bought a 2-person ultra-light tent (the Big Agnes) and it only weighs 2 pounds with the stakes and poles! We set it up in the house and it looks pretty sweet. The only thing I'm worried about is fitting our packs in there with us, but I guess we'll figure that out on the road.


This is what I tentatively plan to cram into my pack (note that Rachel's packing list is much different than my own):

  • Day pack (one of those small Adidas bags)
  • Rain cover
  • Sleeping mat (we'll probably throw this out after the first leg of the trip to Patagonia)
  • Tent (Big Agnes!)
  • Sleeping bag (my folks got us some nice ones for Christmas, down-filled, small, and only 1 pound)
  • Headlamp
  • 3 Ts
  • 1 button-down long sleeve shirt for our tango nights in Buenos Aires
  • 4 underpants (apparently, ExOficio travel underwear stays stink-free and drys easily after washing in a sink...)
  • 3 pairs socks (one for feet, one in the bag, and one out to dry)
  • 1 pair UL pants
  • 1 pair shorts
  • 1 pair gym shorts
  • 1 bathing suit
  • 1 pair Teva trail-runners
  • 1 pair flip-flops
  • 1 pair Merrell barefoot runners
  • 1 fleece
  • 1 rain jacket
  • 1 wide-brim hat (I burn easily)
  • Kindle
  • Computer
  • Toiletries (deodorant, bar of soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, shampoo, disposable razor and shaving oil)
  • Sarong or ShamWow (use as towel)
  • Medical stuff (Tylenol, rehydration salts, nail clippers, antiseptic ointment, band-aids, sewing kit)
  • Misc: String, rubber bands, ziplock bags, trash bags, safety pins (for pinning clothes to the back of the pack to dry)
  • Camera, charger

... and that's it!

I'll modify this list as we go, toss things, leave things, and so on. I haven't even purchased the pack yet, so we'll see what I actually have room for (and what I'm willing to lug around on my back), when I line it all out on the floor.

Cheers,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment