4/16/2013

12 Things We've Lost or Damaged in 9 Weeks

This will be a long list, but a short post. We're flying to Turkey today, and I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on all of the things we either broke or, more commonly, lost during our two months in Argentina.

1) Olive Oil. Three bottles lost... at least one of them had to be my fault.

2) My only winter beanie.

3) Socks... many.

4) Tupperware.

5) Kindle. This is the last screen it ever displayed.


6) My Chromebook didn't react well to the spilled jar of pickle juice.


7) My camera decided to shut down on me in El Chaltén, although $75 in Buenos Aires fixed the problem.

8) An ATM ate my debit card and wouldn't regurgitate it.

9) My hiking shoes decided to stay on a bus somewhere down south. These found their way back to me on another bus, though I still have no idea how...

10) Electric razor. [Rachel's note: Guess the beard is here to stay.]

11) Ultra-light traveler's towel.

12) And finally, Rachel's Chromebook. This problem isn't as fixable as mine was, but as long as you keep whatever you're working on away from the black hole, it works fine.


When you pack up and move most every day, it's easy for things to fall through the cracks or break. We were actually reflecting on this when we arrived back in Buenos Aires from a jaunt in Uruguay. Rachel's Chromebook had just broke, and that, in our minds, was the final straw. It was late, we were tired, and we were just getting off the crowded underground subway line when we felt a splatter of goop hit our backs and legs.

We turned around, saw nothing, and then a woman was at our sides telling us how a pigeon had just flown by and plopped one on us*.

When we got to our hostel, we sent all of our things out to be washed and then stepped into the shower. But since I didn't have a towel anymore (as per the list above), I had to use my long underwear to dry off.

We'll replace things eventually, but for now, there isn't much for Turkey to take from us.

-Tom

* For those travelling through Buenos Aires, it turns out that the lady and the goop were actually distractions to give a friend the opportunity to pickpocket us. It's a common scam that we weren't aware of at the time. They didn't succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment